What's the difference between promos, discounts and free items? Here's a quick summary:
- Discounts: A discount is a dollar amount or percentage off a unit's monthly rent that is honored on an ongoing basis. For example, you might offer customers 10 percent off the regular rental rate for the length of their tenancy.
- Promos: Unlike discounts, promos are temporary special offers that end after a certain length of time. Examples include the first month free or sixth months at half price. It's possible to offer a dollar amount or percentage off as a promo, but you'll just have to specify time limitations.
- Free Items: Free items are just what they sound like. Common examples include a free lock with rental, a waived admin fee when customers reserve online, or any gifts you might offer to new renters.
Ultimately, offering a discount, promo or free item is up to you - but each of these special offers will make your facility listing more attractive to prospective customers and help you stand out from the competition!
Note: In order to avoid confusion for the customer, please do not to use a promotion and discount at the same time to indicate the same offer. Customers may assume that the offer will apply twice. For example: if you are offering 20% off for the first 6 months, enter that information as either a promotion or a discount only. Although the special could be entered as either one in this case, using both at the same time can cause customers to assume that they will get 20% off twice.
For each unit group that you just added, select the drop-down for the type of offer you'd like to add.
Keep in mind, discounts are special rates that are honored on an ongoing basis, so SpareFoot requires that all discounts be honored for our customers for at least six months. If you'd like to offer a more temporary special on any of your units, you may want to consider a promo instead!
The discount builder allows you to offer either a percentage or dollar amount off each unit's monthly rent, and includes several ready-to-select percentages and dollar amounts for your convenience. If you'd like to apply one of these pre-populated percentages or dollar amounts, simply click the applicable option and the discount will apply.
You can also click "+New Custom Discount" to create your own. Select whether you'd like to offer a percentage or dollar amount discount and enter the applicable amount.
Once you've entered the necessary information, click Save to apply the discount. To ensure customers know exactly how deep a discount they're getting, the unit's original rental rate will be slashed through, and the special rate and discounted percentage/dollar amount off will appear immediately underneath:
A promo is any special offer that isn't a permanent discount, so our builder offers lots of customizable options. The promo builder includes several popular promos for easy selection. You can also select New Custom Promo to build your own:
Building Custom Promotions
If you select "+New Custom Promo," a pop-up window will appear to help you build it.
Let's say you'd like to add a promotion offering customers 50 percent off their second full month. You'd begin by selecting the % Off button at the top of the window, and then selecting the 2nd Month checkbox from the Months section.
It's easy to add additional restrictions or terms to your promotions. For example, let's say you only wish to offer this 50 percent off the second full month to customers who have signed a six-month lease agreement. To add this stipulation, simply scroll down to the Requires Minimum Lease Length field, and select "6 months" from the drop-down menu:
Once the promotion looks correct to you, click Save!
Remember, your SpareFoot customers will not speak with you directly until after their reservation is made, so it's important that your promotion appears exactly as you plan to offer it to customers. If any additional terms or restrictions apply, make sure you use the promo builder to add them.
Unlike discounts and promotions, the promo builder does not allow you to create custom free item offers. However, the builder includes a ready-made list of popular offers that can be easily selected from the drop-down menu:
- Free lock when you reserve online
- Waived admin fee when you reserve online
- Waived insurance fee when you reserve online
- Free use of movers when you reserve online
Don't see the free item you're looking for? The option may exist elsewhere in your MySpareFoot account. For example, if you offer use of a free truck with a customer's rental, you can select this option in the Amenities section of your MySpareFoot account. We’ll get to this step later.
If you change your mind, you can easily remove existing specials by selecting the appropriate unit, clicking on the offer type at the top of the Units tab, and selecting the Remove button. That said, promos are a very effective marketing strategy, and we recommend that you use them!
Here are some best practices to consider when creating special offers on your SpareFoot listing:
- If a promotion is only going to be offered for a certain number of months, that information should be included in the promo. For example: 50% off for the first 2 months. Without information about how long the promotion will be offered for, a customer may assume that the discount will continue indefinitely.
- If both a discount and promotion are being used at the same time, make sure the final price is clear to customers. For example: A unit that is priced at $50 has a "50% off the First Month" promo and also a discount of 10% off. It is unclear if the first month at 50% off is based on the original price or the discounted price. The customer may not know whether the rent is $25 or $22.50 for the first month.
- Don’t use a discount and promotion at the same time to indicate the same thing. Customers will likely assume that the discount will apply twice.
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions or need help adding promotions and discounts.